Wednesday 1 January 2014

A Year In The Life Of 'The Stronghold Rebuilt'

2014 is upon us (in Australia, at least), so I thought it might be quite fun to look back at the previous year. I rather liked the way The Fencing Frog did his review of  2013 - selecting the top post from each month. So I have gone through my posts from 2013 and selected the one from each month that got the most views.

January



The Battle of Galveston - This post looked at the set-up of a small scenario to refight this ACW action on its 150th anniversary. The post after it details the actual games.

February



The Battle of Salta - Top post this month was another anniversary refight. This time it was the 200th anniversary of one of the battles of the South American wars of Liberation. Coincidentally the anniversary coincided with my 20th wedding anniversary.

March



The Battle of the Five Armies - 2014 will see The Battle of the Five Armies on the big screen, as (one hopes) the main part of the third part of Peter Jackson's 'The Hobbit'. But back in March we fought the battle as part of GongCon 2013, using HOTT (of course).

April



Clobberin' Time - As ever I was constantly tinkering with and writing rules. Clobberin' Time started out as a free, two-page set of rules for Batman skirmishes that I found on the 'net. I kept adding to them. This post has a link to the latest published version. But I still have more things to add ... one day.

May



England Expects ...  - Our club's first (and, to date, only) game of 'Trafalgar'. We also tried some 'Form Line of Battle', and promised ourselves more naval adventures - a promise which never materialised.

June



Maurice Doubles - Just what it says on the tin; Maurice, with two players on each side.

July



The Tyranid Menace - I love Epic 40K HOTT, and this was one of my favourite battles of the year; 72AP of Tyranids vs Space Marines/Sisters of Battle.

August

Gloranthan Army Lists for HOTT - I think this may be my most viewed post of the year. I'm not sure why. It's a repost from the original Stronghold, because someone asked about the lists on the HOTT Yahoo Group.

September



Donald Featherstone - I suspect that this will be the biggest post of September 2013 for anyone who posted an obituary of one of the fathers of modern wargaming.

October



Hannibal Ad Portas - Something of a throwaway post, as I mused on how to use my Hat plastic Carthginians and Romans to make a couple of historical HOTT armies. I haven't progressed this idea any further.

November



The Bad Day Of The Doctor - This month saw the 50th anniversary of the first episode of 'Doctor Who', so I played a game using my HOTT matched pairs on the day itself. The Doctor and his friends were not victorious.

December



The Battle Of Monocacy - Our first go at an historical scenario, using 'Longstreet'. And a very nice looking game as well.

I also see that I took a lot of pictures. Perhaps I might post some of my favourites from the year.

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...